July 31, 2003

The subway is apparently as good a place as any to give birth

Ok. Get ready to be stunned beyond belief and grossed out beyond repair:

Refusing help, woman gives birth aboard Subway

Excerpts:
''At first I THOUGHT SOMEONE SPILLED COFFFEE, BUT IT KEPT DRIPPING.''

"I saw her TIE THE UMBILICAL CORD in a knot and wrap the baby in a silk scarf. She CRADLED THE BABY IN ONE ARM and GRABBED THE HANDRAIL WITH THE OTHER and CONTINUED TO RIDE THE T AND STARE OUT THE WINDOW.''

People offered sweaters and implored her to sit or lie down. Still, Judge refused.
''I'M FINE,'' she repeated throughout the trip. ''I'M FINE.''

After leaving the train and heading for the stairs up to the station's main lobby, witnesses said, THE PLACENTA FELL TO THE PLATFORM. JUDGE turned around, GRABBED THE AFTERBIRTH, PUT IT IN HER SHOULDERBAG, and headed upstairs.

Comments

But Heather, you've missed the most telling comment from Robert Busby, of Weymouth, "She just literally picked it up with her hand and put it in some kind of bag she was carrying, AND THIS WAS IN MID-STRIDE ..."

THIS is a woman of action, a woman for the 21st Century!

JUDGE FOR PRESIDENT!!!!

Posted by: Heather Deux at July 31, 2003 4:55 PM

this is for all you new yawkers who think Boston ain't a big city. We have public transport, we have public birth, we have head cases. oh yeah.

Posted by: pippa at July 31, 2003 5:03 PM

This, too, makes me fucking sick and angry enough that I had to walk away from the computer for a while before I could write this comment. I hope all of that woman's children are loved and well cared for, but taken away from her. I hope she gets the help she obviously needs.

I also hope you aren't planning on making a habit of making me cry in this space. I see enough evil and pain just walking down the street. I do not need my faith in humanity any further diluted.

Posted by: Brandon D. Valentine at July 31, 2003 8:52 PM

whatthefuck? this is why i'm leaving boston.

Posted by: jamie at August 1, 2003 11:20 AM

I read and re-read this article and was filled with an immense sense of longing for a warm, fragrant, steaming cup of coffee...

Posted by: chelsea at August 1, 2003 4:22 PM

I just hope that mom and baby are both healthy. I think it's extremely judgemental to assume that mom has something "wrong" with her. Pregnancy and childbirth are very taxing on a woman, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Posted by: Ali at August 25, 2003 11:50 AM