May 9, 2006

Best office chair for person with back problems??

I'd love to know.

Are Aerons really the only answer?

Help.

My back hurts.

Comments

design within reach

-rod

Posted by: rod at May 9, 2006 12:16 PM

The best office chair for you is the one you feel most comfortable in!

Go to the store and sit in each one for ten minutes as if you are in front of your computer. Make sure your feet are on the ground, back straight.

Chairs are often not the problem. They just make a problem caused by something else manifest itself. It's so easy to slouch in front of the computer. Posture is everything. Andrea - you are too young to have back problems!

Posted by: Mitch Benn at May 9, 2006 12:22 PM

Your back hurting has only slightly to do with your chair selection. Try taking more frequent breaks from the computer to stretch and walk around. Also, it doesn't serve anyone to go right from bed to the computer without even walking anywhere.

But, I like these: http://www.office-environments.com/leap/index_leap_buy.asp

Posted by: Fruballs at May 9, 2006 1:40 PM

I have been sitting on one of those ab balls. Love it!

Posted by: meredith at May 9, 2006 3:08 PM

I'm 28, my back is ALWAYS sore at work (IT geek programmer type person). I have good posture at work and always have my feet on the ground (except metaphorically).

My theory is that people shouldn't work. At all. I also blame public transport. Trains and busses are a killer. I spend the whole time cracking my neck and doing lame shoulder-blade stretches that dont do squat.

Sorry for the rant, but its agony.

Solutions!!??

Posted by: Davey at May 9, 2006 9:18 PM

Hydraulic boss chair could help.
More aerobic, yoga or warm water would also help you to relax your spine.

Posted by: Marina loves pictures at May 10, 2006 8:14 AM

We prefer the old school style of back relief. The Eames Aluminum Group is incredibly comfortable, sophisticated and beautiful...

Posted by: christian at May 10, 2006 9:47 AM

Aerons have done wonders for us. You really can sit longer in front of the computer in an Aeron. You can test drive ours next week when we move into our new digs! I think we bought it at sit4less.com. And Mitch is right, we often ignore our posture in front of a computer, especially when you're using a laptop you're often leaning into the screen more than you need to.

Posted by: rachel at May 10, 2006 9:56 AM

I've had this for over a year and I love it. Before spending the money try just sitting on a regular yoga ball and see how it feels. You must stay upright to balance, yet relaxing for the lower back, even for hours of sitting. Supposed to be good for the abs and blood flow too due to constant motion in balancing. If you like the effect, buy the chair, much easier when the ball is set in the base and not rolling around.

Posted by: Annie at May 10, 2006 7:34 PM

1> Adjust your chair so that your feet rest comfortably on the floor with your thighs parallel to the floor. Your keyboard should sit below your fingertips without a lot of pressure on your palms and your shoulders at rest.

2> If you still feel the need for an expensive chair, consider the Humanscale Freedom Chair with a high back. I found mine on eBay for $450 shipped.

3> If that still doesn't work, make Jonah get a 3rd and 4th job so that you can hire someone to type for you. Once again, I found mine on eBay for about $450 shipped. ;)

Posted by: yatta at May 11, 2006 10:36 AM