Comments

I think they should make Mel redo Mad Maxx in a rabbi outfit and payes down to his chin singing an improv to "Sunrise, Sunset" titled "Sunrise, Sunset: I prefer either one with tequilla" from Fiddler on the Roof.

Posted by: Michael at August 2, 2006 12:32 PM

He is responsible for his own actions and should be punished for his drunken tirade but I feel taking his work away from him is going too far.

As someone who drinks excessively I know about what heís going through (I love college).

I believe the whole, "when youíre drunk youíre true colors come out" to a point. I know many times Ive been drunk and have gotten into arguments where I just say the most offensive things just to be offensive I donít actually agree with the words that are coming out of my mouth but it pisses off the other guy.

Everything a celebrity does, people make it into this tragedy or world ending news. Leave him be.

Posted by: Mike at August 2, 2006 12:46 PM

It would be a little funny though, come on? What possibly makes this dirt bag different from us when we're both drunk and saying stupid shit?

If it was you or I, we would have been processed for racist slurs by now in the higher court of California, which is possibly a felony there, and then we would have been on our way to filling the "lovely-3-strikes-and-your'e-in-jail-for-life" quota.

All I'm saying is that the whole acceptance process by the general public 2 months down the road is bullshit just because the guy joins a 1 hour session of AA for 2 weeks. Sorry but Mel should pay. We've all been in college and we have all grown up, to an extent, this doesn't justify one.

Posted by: Michael at August 2, 2006 1:03 PM

He's apologized twice and he's repentant. He IS a disappointment, but you don't improve someone by making him feel worse just out of spite, you make 'em walk a mile in your shoes.

He should be made to entertain at seven bar mitzvahs armed with nothing but a kazoo and the words to "Mama's Little Baby Loves Matzoh Balls." Hmm, think that was Allan Sherman originally..

Posted by: Agulator at August 2, 2006 1:05 PM

Poor old Mel is a fool. He clearly has deep rooted anti-semitic views... but then don't a whole load of Americans share the same views. I have no problem with the Jews being blamed for the death of Christ... it was 2,000 years ago and I can't be held personally responsible and of course if Jesus wasn't martyred there'd be no Christianity... serving Gods purpose?

But whether drunk or sober it's a dangerous game to express such views... if people of influence choose not to work with him... well he's brought it on himself... more Mad (insane) Mel than Mad Max.

Posted by: Reba Levy at August 2, 2006 1:57 PM

In the words of Toecutter from "Mad Max", "Anything [you, Mel] say. What a wonderful philosophy you have..."

We all make mistakes (especially after a... few Alabama Slammers, but I myself would NEVER know about that...) because we are human, and he seems contrite. The only thing that's keeping this "story" alive is his expressed religious beliefs, as stated through his film work and interviews.

Leave it be and move on to that which is important - such as the escalating violence in the Middle East...

Posted by: |mr|Darcy at August 2, 2006 3:20 PM