August 18, 2006

"JonBenet, my love, my life. I love you and shall forever love you. I pray that you can hear my voice calling out to you from my darkness..."

Eeeew.

In all seriousness, what to do about pedophiles? I find myself thinking about their plight fatalistically as opposed to rehabilitatively. What can realistically be done to fix them, prevent them, help them?

Comments

First of all you spell it "paedophile". The US spelling makes it look less unpleasant

Posted by: emma lethbridge at August 18, 2006 12:54 PM

Image is everything (of course), but I'm still waiting for the "Second..." portion of the post, emma lethbridge...

With respect to this case, though, Mark Karr sounds more and more like a storyteller and NOT a murderer... Why he would want do such a thing (15 minutes of fame?) is beyond me. But time will be the teller here.

As to what should be done for pedophiles (note the thoroughly American spelling), the only true rehabilitation seems to be drug therapy. The impulses that drive pedophiles (I believe) are chiefly chemical imbalances. Whether itís from a crossed-over gene here that results in a physiological change there or some type of mechanical damage to the "gray matter", Iím uncertain. What is certain, however, is the damage caused by such abhorent activities.

The greater concern that I have is that too often (though I donít think it represents the majority) pedophilia is combined with homicide. Again, is that genetic or something else...? How does a pedophile think (presumably in a rational manner) that they have the right to abduct, use, then "dispose" of a child? Such actions are "Evil Incarnate". I CANNOT Ė in my most lenient and forgiving form Ė understand those actions.

Posted by: |mr|Darcy at August 18, 2006 1:28 PM

Give them a choice:

Prison till 65, or voluntary castration and parole.

Or you could apply Shariah and stone them to death publicly, I suppose.

Posted by: olegna.joven at August 18, 2006 2:12 PM

There was a study done a few years ago by The Justice Department which said that out of 9,691 men convicted of rape, sexual assault and child molestation, 5.3 percent of them were re-arrested after their release, and of that 5.3 percent, 1.3 percent of those arrests were for a sex crime. This would seem to prove that rehabilitation is possible in some cases however, too many times sexual abuse goes unreported, as it often makes the victim feel like she or he is mostly responsible. How can we really ever know if the sexual predators who are being released are cured? We can assume and hope, but there's no way to know for sure.

I am the daughter of a victim of childhood sexual abuse, a victim of adult sexual assault and now a parent. Because of these experiences, I'm sure my views on this matter are somewhat biased.

When a child or an adult is sexually abused by another person, whether it be a relative, friend or stranger, the victim is sentenced to an entire lifetime of hurt and struggle because of what that sexual predator did to them. I hardly seems fair that after x amount of years of supposed rehabilitation and parole/probation, that sexual predator will be released and will be free to live a normal life while his victim is still serving a life sentence.

There is no way to ever truly know if a sexual offender has been cured, yet we let them out of jail everyday and let them slip through the cracks. We are supposed to have a system with which to track released pedophiles, yet they still manage to move in next door to elementary schools and daycare facilities. There is so much evil and manipulation in a pedophile, I'm not that even with rehabilitation, there's ever much hope for them to live a life as a normal, non-abusive human.

Posted by: Heather at August 18, 2006 3:15 PM

I'm with Heather - a "no brainer" there.

I have NO tolerance for a sexual predator, whether focused on a child or an adult. Period. I think that rehabilitation is possible for some to many, but there are those (what percentage - I don't know) that will ALWAYS remain... a predator. Commitment is (unfortunately) the only solution for these.

Personally, I'm in favor of castration - given my belief in the chemical imbalance theory. However, societal sensibilities say otherwise, which confuses me greatly - but this is another issue entirely.

Posted by: |mr|Darcy at August 18, 2006 3:39 PM

"Mr. Hoarwinkle! Mr. Hoarwinkle, this is not the first time that you have appeared before this court on a similar charge! Baliff, WHACK his peepee!"

Posted by: Forest Green at August 19, 2006 5:10 AM

child abuse is the end of a long road, which might begin with some chemical imbalance, or with the abuser's own traumatic history as a victim, but something causes his or her mind to propose this as the thing to do.

[i should say clearly here i'm not saying all victims of abuse become abusers themselves]

maybe if we had a mental healthcare system which was accessible and comprehensive enough we could give people other options, ways to counteract the dysfunctional impulses as they appear...

for men like karr i believe isolation is the only treatment, but we should think more about the children growing up now who will commit similar crimes in the decades to come.

Posted by: some guy at August 20, 2006 6:18 PM

>>personally it is a sadness i feel for these kind of people, not hatred. society is collectively responsible for letting people's mental health degenerate to this level without stepping in to help.

Not quite. I understand people have messed up pasts which drives them to extremes on any spectrum of normalcy. But when it comes to sexual tendencies towards children, then fuck isolation. if your example serves any purpose then it will only perpetuate the problem with dealing with children of child molesters (not saying as a speculation that child molesters have children that are child molesters, just carrying your example over multiple generations). I consider myself pretty open minded, but catering to those who prey upon children with "rehabilitation" is insane. It only propagates the problem. Castrate the guy. Eliminate the sex drive. If that is what governs his feelings, take away the governor.

Posted by: cyanbane at August 23, 2006 2:31 AM

castration.

it seems such an obvious solution - any guesses why it's not the law of the land?

Posted by: sharon at August 23, 2006 12:26 PM

Pedophilia, male or female (all those teachers), is incurible. So shoot'em in the head and be done with it. But, no. Not in the USA! We can't just shoot scumbags. We must give them more chances than they gave their victims! F that noise. Just shoot the sick sons of bitches.

Posted by: Dirty Howie at August 24, 2006 10:41 AM

In the Old Testement of the Bible they would have just stoned them because that is what God told them to do.

In the New Testement they would simply forgive them and let God take care of them.

Posted by: Scott at September 1, 2006 3:34 PM