November 28, 2006

I hate being discriminated against because I'm skinny

What often happens is that I'm standing in a pizza line next to a big guy and two pizza slices come fresh out of the oven for us. The server takes a look at me and then at him and gives me the smaller piece and him the bigger piece.

JUST BECAUSE I'M THIN DOESN'T MEAN I LIKE SMALLER FOOD!!!!

Comments

The last skinny woman who was in his pizzeria probably gave him shit for giving her the bigger slice the last time this happened, so he's just trying to avoid drama.

Posted by: Agulator at December 5, 2006 12:40 PM

I never thought that would happen to my skinnier friends and family, but now that you mention it I can see how it could happen.

And along those lines, that might explain the superior service I received in Spain when traveling with big guys. Big = lovers of food?

Just a thought :)

Posted by: matt at December 6, 2006 10:17 AM

I always get the opposite. I get given the bigger slices and told that I can afford it.

Posted by: souldawg at December 6, 2006 12:28 PM

The only time this happened to me was in college, where I was often given smaller portions than my larger friends in the dining hall. Once I went back for seconds and the server said "You sure eat a lot for such a little thing." I don't think she meant it as a compliment.

Posted by: Kate at December 6, 2006 3:51 PM

i think it's because you're female. i often notice discrepencies between the size of servings that my husband and i receive at restaurants.

Posted by: rebecca at December 6, 2006 4:17 PM

Oh, cry me a river! I mean, really! You get one taste of reverse discrimination (if it wasn't all in your head) and you think you have something to complain about. Speaking as a plus sized woman who is discriminated against every day you have nothing to complain about.

Look at it this way: Thin people beat us out of jobs we are often more qualified to do. Thin people get paid more and get more frequent raises than we do. Your clothes cost less. Flying isn't an anxiety producing ordeal where you worry that some skinny boarding pass collector is going to arbitrarily decide that you need to pay for a second seat which you probably can't afford because you've been passed over repeatedly for promotions. Strangers in the grocery store don't scan your cart to see what you're buying and chastise you if you have a quart of ice cream or a package of cookies. Your health insurance costs less, even if you have hypertension and I don't. These things are just the beginning. I could easily list a hundred more, but I won't.

Still think you have it so bad?

Posted by: Calichef at December 6, 2006 7:51 PM

Jeez, Calichef. Don't get your knickers in a twist. Maybe you should eat a little less, and accept that everyone, not just the grossly obese, have their little uncomfortable episodes in life?

Posted by: Lucy at December 8, 2006 11:58 AM

Ya know, Lucy, not everyone who is overweight eats too much. I eat much less than my "skinny" friends do, in fact they comment on the fact that it's unfair that I eat like a bird and still have a weight problem.

I've had dozens of thyroid tests over the years because of a family history of hypothyroidism, yet it was recently discovered that my thyroid is intermittantly "sluggish." I just happened to have had all of my previous tests when it was behaving normally. Since I've been on pills to supplement my thyroid's uneven production I've lost a steady two pounds per week-- without changing my diet or exercise routines.

Those of you who think you have all the answers when you see someone who is overweight may want to rethink your position. There are more reasons than you can imagine why people aren't as "perfect" as you are.

Posted by: Calichef at December 8, 2006 4:57 PM

A similar thing used to happen when I'd go out with a diabetic friend of mine (he's male, I'm female): he'd order a diet coke, I'd order a regular, and not one time out of a dozen did the server ever hand him the diet coke, expecting it to be for the woman. So I had to taste them both every time!

Posted by: apb at December 8, 2006 10:58 PM

you're on buzzfeed! #1 link too.
congrats.

Posted by: asra at December 12, 2006 12:29 AM

Of course she's #1 on Buzzfeed. Jonah (aka her husband) is a founder.

Hmmm . . . question is, how do we feel about that? She has been open about. So I suppose it's OK. Then again . . .

Sorry Andrea - you knew it had to come up.

Posted by: Shayaduh at December 12, 2006 11:10 AM