October 15, 2007

Right Brain v. Left Brain Test

Update: I can see it turning counter-clockwise now - yay!!! Although, is it just rotating randomly and messing with us??!!

Rightbrainvleftbrain.gif

This test is incredibly frustrating to me!

I can only see it moving clockwise which apparently means I'm a right brained person. That's ok except that I've always thought of myself as both a left and right brained person. To evince that, it seems you must be able to also see it turning counter-clockwise too but I can't for the life of me see that or make it do that!! Can any of you???

* via Kottke.

Comments

I can actually see it moving in either direction with a little effort (and luck). Fascinating. For me, once it's going on one direction, it will stay that way unless I look away and envision it turning the other way. Then there's a good chance it will have switched direction when I look back. So what does it all mean???

Posted by: Robert Ikenberry at October 15, 2007 9:05 AM

I can see it both ways, focus on her planted calf for a little bit and it seems to reverse

Posted by: rod at October 15, 2007 9:05 AM

At first I could only see it turn clockwise as well, but then, I started reading your post beneath it and from the corner of my eye I could see it turn counter-clockwise. Maybe your eyes only catch it when you don't look at it straight on.

M

Posted by: mabyn conner at October 15, 2007 9:07 AM

I tried it every which way...I can only see it clockwise!!

Posted by: Anil at October 15, 2007 9:25 AM

That was tough! At first, I could only see clockwise. The trick of staring at the planted calf actually helped. Another trick is to realize that when she's turning clockwise, you're looking at the top of her planted foot. When she turns counter-clockwise, you're actually seeing the bottom of it. Hope that helps. This almost drove me insane!!!

Posted by: Rob C at October 15, 2007 11:26 AM

For the first ten seconds or so I could only see it going clockwise but now it changed to counter clockwise and won't change back.

Posted by: Preeti at October 15, 2007 6:07 PM

I noticed the site is from Australia...?

Perhaps the image spins clock-wise in the northern hemisphere and anti clock-wise in the southern?

;)

Posted by: matt PiE at October 15, 2007 8:22 PM

It's not a trick. Look at it with someone else. Simultaneously, my friend saw counter-clockwise while I saw the opposite.

Posted by: chris at October 15, 2007 9:11 PM

I can see it both ways, try focus on the shadow movement of her right leg.

good luck

Posted by: Quentin at October 15, 2007 9:31 PM

weird. i can ONLY see it turning counterclockwise. how frustrating!

Posted by: kate at October 15, 2007 9:49 PM

At first view, I only saw her turning counter-clockwise. But once I clicked the link to the Herald Sun, she changed directions to clockwise. However and after a number of tests, I tend (far more) to see her moving counter-clockwise.

My conclusion is that I've too much reality and not enough fantasy. And yet, sometimes a little fantasy is too much reality. Clockwise... counter-clockwise... Yin... Yang... Sometimes, "freaky" is good.

Posted by: |mr|Darcy at October 15, 2007 11:34 PM

It seems to be going both ways for me. When she goes counter-clockwise, her left foot/hand is elevated. When she goes clockwise, her right foot/hand is elevated. I think it just undulates in a way where its tricky to see the transition.

Posted by: Tess at October 16, 2007 4:15 AM

To see her switch direction, try this: recite a poem and she'll move clockwise, then, recite multiplication and she moves counter-clockwise.

If you can alternate between the poem and the math, she keeps flipping back and forth too!

Have fun!

Posted by: melissa at October 18, 2007 5:42 PM

Does anyone know what is so special about this image/animation that left and right "sided" people see it moving differently?

Why, for example, we see the seconds needle on a watch go in clockwise direction always?

Thanks for your time and explanation in advance,
CuriousOne

Posted by: bobby at October 20, 2007 1:25 AM

Experiment:

Look only at her hand when it's on the right side. You'll find that sometimes, the back of her hand (defined as the part of her hand facing her butt) is pointing toward you (clockwise), and sometimes it's pointing away from you (counter-clockwise), which means her direction is reversed at some point.

So, they are trying (successfully) to trick us.

Posted by: Matt at October 24, 2007 2:52 AM

This is quite interesting, usually I'm not very good at these, but after 42 seconds it went clock wise!

cheers!